New Zealand’s biggest tourist attraction, Fukuoka, is closed following the latest attack on a hotel.
Key points: The city is on lockdown after a gunman opened fire at a hotel in Tokyo’s Tokyo district, killing two people and injuring seven more.
The Japanese government is warning people to be vigilant and take precautions following the incident.
New Zealand Prime Minister John Key said it was an attack on our values.
Police are hunting for the gunman.
More to come.
More than 400,000 tourists have visited Japan in 2016, including about 4,300 in Fukuoya, and many of the tourist sites are in the heart of Tokyo.
In the city of Osaka, for example, about 2,500 people visited during the first six months of the year.
Tokyo’s tourism industry was badly hit by the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, which knocked out power, left hundreds dead and millions homeless.
The number of visitors fell sharply in 2016 but the city was still hit hard by the attack.
The gunman has not been named.
Mr Key said there was a strong possibility the man had been targeting tourists and that it was likely that he had carried out the attack in a hotel, where the tourist attractions are located.
“I think there is a strong probability that this is a terrorist attack, a targeted attack, and it will be the most serious attack in the history of Japan,” Mr Key said.
He said the attacker had acted alone and was not acting alone.
Witnesses told police that a man entered the hotel with a gun and opened fire on the hotel guests before escaping.
At least three people were injured and the gunman is still at large.
Police said the hotel is a popular destination for tourists and many tourists were staying at the hotel for a few days.
Fukuoka has a population of about 7,000.
A spokeswoman for the city’s tourism authority said the police had been called to the hotel early on Friday morning and they were responding to reports of shots fired.
No further details were immediately available.
Japan’s prime minister said it would be impossible for people to return to the city unless they were well-informed and had a “clear vision”.
Japan is not the only country to have suffered a major attack by a lone gunman.
In May, a gunman attacked a train station in Germany and killed eight people.
On June 1, 2014, a Japanese man opened fire in a Tokyo subway station and killed 11 people, including five policemen.
Japanese authorities have also been hit by an onslaught of cyber attacks over the past few years, including a series of attacks on government websites, including the ministry of finance.
This year, authorities in Tokyo said they were investigating whether a “foreign hacker” had accessed sensitive personal data belonging to about 30,000 people.