In a move that is sure to stir controversy and anger, French authorities on Friday ordered the closure of a number of tourist sites around the city, including Oxford, which hosts the festival.
The decision to close all tourist sites was announced by the authorities in the French capital, where the festival is being held, following a letter sent to the city’s tourism minister by the French National Commission for Tourism.
“The decision was taken as a result of a serious situation involving two large-scale terrorist attacks, the closure, the deterioration of public order and the risk of public violence,” the letter said.
“Therefore, it was necessary to act swiftly to ensure the safety of the public.”
“The closure of some tourist sites will affect visitors to the French city,” said a statement from the mayor of Paris, Bernard Cazeneuve.
“The measures will have a negative impact on our economy and our tourism sector.
It is important to emphasize that we do not want the closure to be an excuse to attack innocent citizens.”
France’s interior minister has announced plans to suspend all activities at the sites for 24 hours starting at 5pm (10pm GMT) on Friday.
In total, more than 100 sites will be closed, including several restaurants, bars and cinemas.
A total of 1,600 police officers will also be deployed to the sites, the Paris prosecutor’s office said in a statement.
The closure comes amid heightened security around the country following attacks on the French parliament and the headquarters of the government in Paris on Friday and on the Stade de France, where French soldiers took part in the military intervention against ISIS militants in Iraq and Syria.
The attacks have sparked a wave of protests in the country, with tens of thousands of people taking to the streets of Paris on Saturday in support of the victims of Friday’s attacks.
The authorities have been under pressure to rein in the demonstrations since a string of violent attacks against police and soldiers over the past month.
The police commissioner in Paris, Vincent Cazenave, has said that he has received assurances from the country’s top law enforcement officials that “the safety of all citizens is their highest priority.”
Authorities have also said that the government will take all necessary measures to prevent further violence.
The closures come after the French government announced it was banning all travel to the country by foreigners for the coming week.
The country has been on high alert since last month’s terror attacks in the heart of the French Republic and in the capital, the city of Paris.